Monday, January 18, 2010

One day down 20 to go!

At the beginning of each daily routine sheet from my detox book (AKA my Bible for 3 weeks), there is a quote. Here is today's:

"Today I dedicate and focus 100% of my time to my dreams of success." Jody Stevenson

This was definitely true for my day today. Every part of my free time had to be used towards preparation and carry through of this detox. I woke up an hour and a half earlier then I usually do to begin my designated morning tasks. I immedietly turned on all the lights in my house and some mellow music and it completely helped me stay motivated. (I am NOT a morning person)

The first part of today's plan was to heat up some water, add 1/2 a lemon squeezed in, and a pinch of Cayenne pepper.... Um, eww. But y'know it wasnt half bad! I only drank half, I will try harder to drink the whole thing tomorrow, I have to do this every morning...

First thing I have already learned about myself is that I do not drink enough fluids. I have always been one to drink water through out the day but the quantity of beverages I generally intake is pathetic.

Next I went on to prepare todays lunch which consisted of a steamed veggie medley and turkey breast. Being able to use a large variety of herbs it was delicous. Especially with the homemade dressing I put on it that I prepared the night before. (Dressing: Olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and Oregano.)

My plan today for the 30 minutes a day of light activity required(but enough to make you sweat) was spoiled by the biggest rain storm Southern California has seen all year. I plan on running/walking with my pug Tucker (we both win with this) for 20 minutes a day then come back and do yoga at home or at the studio I go to. So today was a longer Yoga sesh... It was lovely.

The next part of the plan is the smoothie. (More liquid) Its yummy no problem there, but no joke, it took me an hour and a half to drink. See what I mean about my pathetic liquid habits? I have to have it 2 x a day for the first week, then it gradually increases with the final count being 6 x a day!! I needed to get it down MUCH quicker.

The day felt the same as usual. I was a little tired in the afternoon just because I have to adjust to getting up so early. I was actually pretty excited all day. I'm really happy I am doing this. I know its going to be a life changing experience for me.

I am coming from a place of pride in my BBQ skills and have the motto "the more butter, the better". Pretty much everything I eat in my diet is not allowed with this detox. What? I cant use my deep fryer?? I'm gona miss my boyfriends hot wings so much. But this is the point of it all. I WANT to change my pallet. Those yummy foods have a place but should not be the only source of food I turn to for every meal. I want to be ok with veggies instead of chips as a side dish for lunch.

Dinner tonight: Salmon with homemade Tahini sauce (that stuff is soooo good!) and 1/2 cup of brown rice.

One of the most valuable things I'm learning working for a Naturopathic Doctor is just how important food is to my mind, body, and soul. Here's a quote often used around the office:

"Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

And for three weeks I am gona put that quote to the test. Day 1 is complete, 20 more to go. The best part, I'm required to take a relaxing bath now with epsom salt and lavender oil.... Poor me ;)

P.S. I just finished the bath. I made it as hot as I could tolerate. It is true that your skin is your largest detoxifying organ. That was tough. I was sweating, felt it hard to breath for a little bit, I really had to practice my yoga breathing in there. After I got out I felt great but it was intense!! I still feel a little light headed, but amazing. I'm gona go pound some water now.

No comments:

Post a Comment