Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 5...

"Just trust yourself, and then you will know how to live." -Goethe

All of the work I have been putting towards this detox has brought me a great blessing. I am forced to look at myself. Now that I am clear headed, being put up against many tests of strength, and getting solitude every evening in my candle lit baths, I have focused much of my attention inward. Its so hard not to lose yourself in this time we live in. I remember back when I was fortunate enough to not have to work to support myself and had what seemed like all the time in the world. A lot of it was spent contemplating life, looking forward, setting goals, and enjoying my friends. Now it seems there is never enough time or money or laughs with true friends. Is this my doing? Did I let the rat race suck me in? It seems the older we get the more responsibilities we have. How do we get out once we are in? I think the answer is discipline. When I was younger and was blessed with those freedoms mentioned before, I couldn't wait for the day to be "on my own". Well, be careful what you wish for. Independence has a lot of value, but when you take it at a young age, you often don't know how to discipline yourself to remain financially, mentally, and spiritually, free.

Some of these woes in life I'm seeing can be solved by the same approach I am taking with this detox. Have a plan and practice discipline to the very end. Even when you don't think you can handle it another hour, remember the goal. It's from moments of weakness that strength rises up. I had a weak moment tonight, I did not break my plan or my goal. But I felt weak. Instead of putting those feelings outward and losing myself in the feeling, I silenced my mouth, and settled my mind. It was a moment of mourning, self pity, but soon it was replaced with a sense of pride and drive.

It is AMAZING the role food plays in our lives. I'm not even a large eater, but rather I so much enjoy the tastes and social side of food. I love cooking with Pat every night, having our neighbors over for appetizers and dinners and of course all of this while enjoying a glass of wine. Food plays a major role in our social lives. My course of action and planning will not end after these 21 days. I will need to make a plan on how to manage gaining the "freedom" of foods back in my life.

One tip for those of you out there doing or contemplating doing a detox- remain full. If you are full you can reduce those cravings to simply being something mental, not physical. It is easier to convince yourself you do not need something if your body has been fed. It's the same idea as not going to the grocery store on an empty stomach.

I highly recommend challenging yourself with something. I've felt so neutral for such a long time. This challenge has jump started those mental motors for me. I'm already thinking of what I want to focus my energies on next. I'll share later, but first lets just take one goal at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment