Thursday, January 21, 2010

Julie/Julia/ and Melissa Project ;)

I'm watching the movie Julie & Julia. I find this movie adorable, light, and so pleasant. I cant help but find the relation to my current "project". Although, there is one huge difference: Julie is writing about all of this amazing food she can cook and I am writing about mourning the death of those foods in my life for three weeks. But it still motivated me to pause it and take that intermission to cook my delightful dinner. At day four, I am forced to start getting creative with my meals.

Last night I made amazing lettuce wraps adapted from P.F. Chang's recipe. Tonight, although simple, I made homemade soup from steamed veggies. With added herbs it was really yummy and satisfying. It was green. Completely green. I was scared to take the first bite, and when I did I squealed with joy because it was actually good! This makes me very happy.

I will start posting recipes here soon. If I liked it, most of you without a doubt would too.

Today's quote: "I use my imagination to create new patterns of living." -Anonymous

And with the limited options for meals, imagination truly begins to flourish. But first there is much frustration. Even with the inspiration Julie & Julia provided, I still stood in front of the fridge tonight staring at all the ingredient options. Then slammed the door shut and slumped on the couch... such a grump. But hunger is a big motivator. And after the hissy fit, you'd think I was a chef with the combinations of vegetables, herbs, and spices I began whipping out and putting together for the green soup. After every storm there's always a rainbow right?

The agenda for day four was pretty much the same. The difference is that tonight is when "dry skin brushing" begins. I am to take a natural bristle brush with a long handle and give my skin a dry brush massage for 10-15 minutes until the skin becomes rosy, warm, and glowing. I want to glow! This will now be done morning and night.

I'm looking forward to adding this piece to my routine. However; this is all very time consuming. Most of my free time is having to be put toward this detox. I'm having to balance my time even more now. The house chores are beginning to lag. It was late last night I realized I had no clean clothes. So I was up late washing, drying, and putting away my laundry only for the alarm to go off way too soon this morning. I think this Saturday after work and my girlfriends baby shower I will prep for Sunday and Monday so that this Sunday I will take a mental break from this. I will eat the planned meals for that day, do the workout, and evening activity is all. So that the rest of the day can be free to just be. And to "just be" sounds amazing.

6 comments:

  1. dude, PF chang's lettuce wraps are AMAZING. sounds like your green soup was too! what have you been eating for lunch? thats my biggest downfall. at home, or going out, i dont mind ordering something healthy, but when im stuck at a desk at work, and noon rolls around, i start craving the most terrible of foods!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lunch is pretty easy for me. But only because I have a protein shake mid morning to hold me over and that way when lunch rolls around I'm not starving. I've basically been doing salads with combinations of veggies in it, with plain tuna (any fish is good) or turkey breast on top, and a homemade dressing. On the side to help with the salty crunch aspect that I crave, I will eat some of the sunflower seeds I make or almonds. Fruits, especially cherries and apple slices, get rid of the sweet tooth afterward. It fills me up. As long as I'm full, I dont get any cravings I cant ignore. Also, those lettuce wraps I made were sooo good the next day even. I will post the recipe tonight for you. It was so amazing I may make it for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Chris- a really yummy protein powder you can pick up, or order online is by a company called Jay Robb http://www.jayrobb.com/. Online you can also get blender cups so you can bring the powder in your cup to work then just add water or almond, rice, or soy milk. They are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you Melissa!! This is definitely a journey that will change the way you look at eating, food, and health. Your beautiful attitude will carry you through, even on those difficult days, which are sure to surface. Know that I support you, along with many others. Your next detox/blog must include Patrick and your shared experiences and recipes you both concoct. You go girl!! I love reading your blogs, great job, can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for YOU!!! I am so proud of you Melissa! Love reading your blogs and following the progress (or sometimes regress haha) and supporting you in this new journey. Your amazing attitude will carry you through. Keep your spiritual strength and fortitude. I am looking forward to your continued walk in health and discovery of new stuff to eat and new self to treat. Booyah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to see you are turning the acceptance corner! It is so hard. Keep it up. I am going to try the soup.

    ReplyDelete